Alexander Helwig Wyant was born in Port Washington or Evans Creek, Ohio. He established himself as an artist in Cincinnati from 1857 to 1863 and in New York from 1863 to 1865. After training with Hans Friedrich Gude in Karlsruhe, Germany, and visiting England and Ireland, he returned to New York and enjoyed a successful career as a landscape painter. In 1873 Wyant suffered a stroke that paralyzed his right side, but he soon taught himself to paint with his left hand. After 1880 he spent much of his time in Keene Valley in the Adirondacks and, after 1889, in the Catskills at Arkville, New York.
Wyant’s work can be found in the collections of The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Brooklyn Museum, New York; Addison Gallery of American Art, Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts; Cincinnati Art Museum; and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.